Allergic reactions in pets can be fatal. If you believe your pet is having a severe allergic reaction, seek emergency veterinary care.
There are a number of causes for allergic reactions in pets, such as food, medications/vaccinations, environmental allergens, etc.
A sudden, severe allergic reaction, or anaphylaxis, may include symptoms such as:
Facial swelling, which can include the muzzle and eyes
Wheezing, coughing, gasping and/or difficulty breathing
Sudden onset of diarrhea or vomiting
Remember, this list is not exhaustive, and, if you believe your pet is having a severe allergic reaction, you should seek emergency medical attention.
If you feel as though your pet may need an over-the-counter medication such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) in the future, we recommend discussing this with your regular veterinarian in advance. If the medication is safe for you to administer, your regular veterinarian will provide you with a dose and instructions that are specific to your pet and their medical condition. While many antihistamines are considered safe, your pet may have an underlying medical condition or the potential for a medication interaction which would contraindicate the use of antihistamines.
Generally, we are unable to recommend administering any over-the-counter medications without having a valid Veterinarian-Client-Patient Relationship.
Remember, there are many over-the-counter medications that are extremely toxic to pets and can be fatal when administered. Never give an over-the-counter medication without discussing it with your veterinarian first.